A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Pearce at your initial dental visit. This will include:
Diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, abbesses, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Digital Photographs of your teeth and gums: These are used during your consultation with Dr Pearce so that you can clearly see if any problems or conditions exist that need treatment
Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
Dental Hygiene Appointment
Your dental hygiene appointments are performed by Allison, our Registered Dental Hygienists Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface providing a home for bacteria that cause gum disease. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Decontamination of the pockets surrounding your teeth: Reduce the number of toxic bacteria that cause gum disease and have been related to other health concerns such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.